Fight Viruses the Ayurvedic Way
Beth Escardo (Yoga Beth) shares the following ayurvedic approaches to preventing illnesses. Join her every 3rd Thursday of the month for RESTORATIVE YOGA & Ayurvedic Pichu at Mongoose Yoga Center – another way to boost your immune system!
The ayurvedic approach to preventing illnesses is by building up the immune system and toning the body to withstand viral attacks. The following remedies not only help to prevent catching a cold but also help in relieving symptoms naturally if you already have a cold.
- Every morning make a drink consisting of a cup of warm water mixed with the juice of half a lemon and a spoonful of honey.
- Amla fruit is known to have a very high vitamin C content and regular use builds up the body’s immunity. Amalaki capsules orTriphala capsules taken daily rejuvenate and build up the body’s defences against illnesses and infections. Another well known ayurvedic herb for colds is Vasaka
- Chyawanprash is the best known ayurvedic remedy to build immunity and prevent colds. Made of a 5000 year old formula this remedy contains over 40 herbs in an amla base. A tablespoon everyday helps maintain optimum health especially during the winter months
- If you have a cough, take a spoonful of honey every night. It has been found that honey has the same cough suppressing properties as dextromethorphan – the chemical ingredient found in cough medicines to suppress cough. While coughing is the body’s natural mechanism to remove phlegm, taking honey at night helps to relieve coughing and allow a restful night’s sleep
- Make a warm tea by adding ginger, crushed cardamom, crushed black pepper, cinnamon powder and sugar. Boil and strain the mixture. This drink will instantly help to open nasal passages, relieve sinus pressure and soothe the throat
- Gargle with warm water every day.
- Use a neti pot to drain and moisten nasal passages
- Inhale warm vapors by adding a tablespoon of carom seeds in a pot and allowing the water to steam. Put a towel over your head while inhaling.
- Applying a small amount of amrutanjan to the forehead and nose will instantly give relief when you have a blocked nose or headache.
- Avoid cold dairy products such as yogurt and ice cream
- Take warm showers. The vapors will moisten nasal and throat passages.
- Drink plenty of warm water and herbal teas
Beth’s next Ayurvedic Pichu is coming up on February 21st – 5:30pm @ Mongoose Yoga
$15 fee repay to reserve your space or 1st come for prop set up (14 available) …..a blissful experience!!!